Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Reading Along


Last night I finished reading The Tipping Point By Malcolm Gladwell. For the past few months I have been an avid fan of his blog and read a few of his articles online. I am not one to really enjoy reading; however the casual and knowledgeable voice he possesses is very easy and fun to read. I would recommend this book to anyone who as a general interest in human behaviour or social interactions. As Gladwell decomposes the intricate way in which epidemics and ideas reach a Tipping Point. From a design perspective, the book is very good at changing the way you look at an idea and how you approach it. I think it has changed my outlook on life and will definitely be an influence on thesis project and all of my future work. Ohhh, and yes Gladwell may generalize on some things however as he says in the book, an Interpreter is essential. Gladwell may have very well been the reason this book tipped for me.

Read it, and tell me what you think. Next up I will be finishing The History of Hip by John Leland, which I have been reading for over a year now!!! Hopefully I’ll finish it now.

Ohh and for all you Dataspace fans out there…. Here is an interesting article on how Google maps may turn into its own version of Second Life.

And I also haven’t read the Kevin Kelly – Scan This Book, article that every one is raving about. Hopefully you have time…

No comments: